Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Call of the Wild By Jack London

ANALYISIS:
A recurring theme I noticed in the book was fire. “…Buck lay at the Judge’s feet in front of the fireplace and watched the fire.” Watching the fire was something Buck did throughout the book, and was something closely related to The Call of the Wild. Buck would look into the fire and see images that portrayed the essence of days when dogs and wolves prowled the forests in packs, free of captivity. The next time fire is introduced in the book on page 139-140, Buck is remembering his journey that he had completed so far. Buck then saw visions of a primitive man and a primitive wolf that was referred to as a beast.  In a way, it seems that Buck was able to see his future     *spoiler alert*    as a wild dog.  I think that slowly, as bucks journey starts to draw to a close, he feels The Call of the Wild more deeply than ever. It’s interesting how the last chapter is a sort of epilogue, and Buck is remembered as a legend among the Indian tribe that, while killed his beloved John Thorton, cut him from his ties to captivity and humanity, thus releasing his to his call of the wild.
REVIEW:
I really liked the call of the wild, and even though the writing was below my level, (it was a specially adapted version that I read, I don’t know if that makes any difference,) I really liked the plot, and the ending especially. It was not what I was expecting, and I really like the way the author built a theme slowly, so by the end, everything makes sense.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment