Thursday, January 26, 2012

Almost Done With Delores Claiborne

Delores Claiborne was a really interesting book- about choices. All throughout the book Delores makes decisions- decisions that didn't always seem like the easy way out. The decisions were always interesting, mainly because as she became more experienced, her sense changed. She started doing what had to be done, instead of what seemed easier.

In the beginning, Delores wouldn't put much thought behind her decisions; "I had six weeks' worth of baby girl in my belly when I told him I did n I would, until death do us part. And that was the saddest part of it...sad but true. The rest of it was all the usual stupid reasons, and one thing I've learned in my life is stupid reasons make stupid marriages. I was tired of fighting with my mother. I was tired of bein scolded with my father. All my friends were doing it, they was gettin homes of their own, and I wanted to be a grownup like them; I was tired of bein a silly little girl."(56) Delores didn't put any thought into her marriage, and that one mistake taught her to be more careful when it came to life decisions. It's interesting how that one mistake formed the rest of her story. Without it, her life would be so different. I wonder if she would have changed it if she could.

Later on, Delores put more thought into her actions. She was careful- when McAuliffe was questioning her, Delores would count to three in her head before she answered each question, "Doin that might keep me from movin to quick and paying for it by falling into one of the pits he'd dug for me."(236) Delores thought out everything. When she found out that Joe had stolen the kids college fund, she spent months trying to figure out how to react to the information.

Delores changed. Throughout the book, Delores learned from her mistakes, and didn't make them twice. Many times she said: "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."(32, 38) The character change is really interesting, and I admire Delores for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment