Sunday, November 20, 2011

Social Writing 2/3 Poem

The grass I see isn't much
It could have been cool to the touch
so moist, so green, so lush
But we get some elastic
for grass can't grow
if it's plastic.

It's for the flowers I long
they come, portray their sweet song
but they are called wrong
and silly content
for flowers can't grow
on cement.

It's the trash that's making me gag
dirty cups, dirty spoons, dirty bags
through wrappers and napkins I wade
to get to a spot that has little known shade
so I wonder if,
they know what they've made:

A rat's nest of litter and stain.


The poem is about the astro turf outside the school that I have a lot of misgivings about.
I cannot force myself to write a poem. Usually, in a state near consciousness (dozing from or to sleep) I will think about my problems and think of solutions. In my case, I still hadn't gotten any homework done and was thinking about topics for my ELA assignments. I was mainly worried about my social issues piece: some work I didn't want to leave to the last minute but had no clue how to do. So the first two stanzas were drifting around me and I was thinking about the rhymes I would use. I was making mental notes on what issues about the astro turf I should use for my third stanza (I had a lot of ideas). I decided then I should get to a computer and start blogging, because mental notes don't stick around.
When I write poems, I write them because they can portray a certain vibe. I find that I can only do it if I respond throughout the poem to a certain rhythm. I have written many poems, only achieving this goal of mine once or twice. I never name my poems, because I don't think it's possible to classify a feeling with other words. So this poem will stay strong and defiant. That is the vibe I get from writing it even though it might not be the vibe you get from reading it.

1 comment:

  1. That was really, really good! I love how you said, "flowers can't grow on cement,". It is so catchy, yet so truthful.

    ReplyDelete