Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Social Writing 3/3 poem: 2 voice poem, Alcoholism

I HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY ALCOHOL 
My dad is an alcoholic
I've tried beer at a party

I KNOW I'LL NEVER
I would never drink
I'd never do shrooms, but maybe weed and alcohol 

I WISH 
My mother didn't have to cope with my dad
My mom wouldn't be so touchy when it comes to my friends

I HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY 
I have to make sure my father never abuses my younger sisters
I have to do the dishes, even when I have a lot of homework

I THINK ABOUT MY LIFE 
I want to go through college and become a cop
I think I want to go to college because I like to party

The poem is about alcoholism, and how someone's life can changed because of someone else. I feel that this is injustice because someone's life should not be altered by someone else's selfishness. 
I wanted the two voices to be different in more ways than one- by not only making the mundane voice have normal chores, but also be annoyed that s/he had to do dishes even with a lot of homework. I also tried to make the mundane voice be realistic, and casual, but I don't think anyone would ever admit they wanted to go to college just to party. I thought about the genders of my voices, but it was hard to envision. 
I think alcohol is a serious issue: underage kids often abuse alcohol and it can lead to serious injury or death. Drunk driving can lead to serious accidents, and on top of it all, it's a fluid that can make us sleepy, lead to birth defects, and irrational. It seems like a bad thing to engage in, though most people do. I'm not saying I won't drink-- but drinking sure is a silly thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment